A glimpse to the past
The Midland Minor Hockey Association (MMHA) can trace its roots back to 1948-49. Officially incorporated on June 4th, 1986, MMHA has witnessed many changes over the years, from the facilities used, to the number of registrants enrolled in the system.
Looking back, Midland hockey players were lucky to play out of the Midland Garden Arena, the first artificial ice surface of its kind between Toronto and Winnipeg. The Midland Gardens housed our minor hockey until it was lost to a tragic fire in July 1976. After the fire, Midland players had to find ice times in Wasaga Beach and surrounding areas, until a new facility could be built. After 2 years, the Midland Centennial Arena was officially opened in 1978 and served the area for next to 26 years. MMHA again benefited when the Town of Midland decided to expand the venue and add a second ice surface, community hall, gym and several meeting rooms. Officially opening in September of 2004, the North Simcoe Sports and Recreation Centre is recognized as one of the premier recreation facilities in Ontario.